Wednesday, December 19, 2012

jmeter: preparing data or recycling data with JDBC PreProcessor or JDBC PostProcessor

I was doing testing on some records, and to be able to run the test again, the status of the record must be set to specific value

To be able to do that, I thought of doing this by trigger on the DB, but unfortunately, I was working on the client DB and I didn’t have access to create triggers

So I thought of doing that from jmeter, and it worked perfectly

First I added JDBC Connection Configuration as in the image below


Configured this as below

Variable Name: conn

(Variable name should be any name, that will be used later)

Database URL: jdbc:db2://;

(Database URL is the JDBC URL for the database)

JDBC Driver class:

(Make sure to place the drivers in the lib directory inside jmeter directory. you will need to restart your jmeter to for them to work correctly, in my case I was working with DB2 database, so I copied the files db2jcc.jar and db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar to the lib directory)

Username: user

Password: password


Then I added JDBC PostProcessor at the first request in the script


Configured it,

Variable Name: conn

(variable name is same as above in the configuration element)

Query Type: update statement

Query: update records set status=1 where id=${id};

I was able to insert parameters in the query same way I do in the requests

By this way I was able to reset the data before every cycle

You can also add JDBC PostProcessor at the last request, to do some other post processing

Sunday, December 16, 2012

jmeter with spring webflow

I have been using jmeter for a while with spring webflow application, I have some experience with it now that I would to share

Studying the recording of spring webflow application, I noticed the following

There are requests that doesn’t have anything inside, that are followed by requests with execution parameter as in the images below

Request without any parameters, let’s call them initial requests


Request with the “execution” parameter, let’s call them execution requests


Or it could be request with execution parameter in the query string, and the view state parameter, execution in query requests


To be able to replay the scenario,  with multiple iterations, and multiple users, the execution parameters and view state needs to be parameterized, to be extracted and used in next requests to maintain the execution flow correctly

I found out by trials and from the results from the results tree, that initial requests are followed by sub samples that contains the execution parameter for the consequences request

Also found out that new execution is generated at the end of execution in query requests


But there was a difference in the extraction of the execution parameter in that case, it comes in the body

So for my scenario, in order to work correctly, I added 2 types of extraction rules

One after initial requests, that checks the sub sample URL only with the below settings

Apply To: Sub-samples only

Response Field to Check: URL

Regular Expression: execution=(.+?)$


Another one at the end of each request with execution in the query string, with the below settings

Apply To: Main sample only

Response Field to Check: Body

Regular Expression: execution=([^"]+)"


Then in consecutive requests, replace the execution parameter with the extracted parameter, in my case here I named it ${e3s2}



Sunday, December 2, 2012

Method not found exception with WCF

I had a WCF client for a web service, it was working fine from my machine, when I deployed my application to other machines, I was getting the below exception

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void System.ServiceModel.Channels.SecurityBindingElement.set_AllowInsecureTransport(Boolean)'.

When I searched online I found out that this could happen when .NET framework is not installed. I tried installing .NET framework 3.5 SP1 on these machines, but it was always failing since this machines OS is windows 7, and I was getting error that I should use “Turn windows features on or off” to install .NET framework 3.5, which was already installed by this way

I searched more, and I found out that there is hot fix for WCF that adds AllowInsecureTransport  property to the SecurityBindingElement class, and i was using this on my WCF client

I found couple of updates for .NET framework 3.5 SP1, non of them installed successfully, there were errors in setup, either product not found, or things like this

Finally I found one that I was able to install from the link below

I downloaded the x86 file Windows6.1-KB976462-v2-x86.msu from , installed it on the machines, then the application worked without any exceptions